Monday 11 June 2012

Pedestal

So here is the new poem I promised.  I had the first verse kicking around for a while, but the last two were written in a mad ten minute period that I had very little control of.  One of those wonderful, rare moments where it all comes together without much need for rewrites and alterations. Dark yes, true? even more so.

Pedestal

I could not allow such beauty
to touch the folds of my middle-aged skin,
to slide against the grotesque swelling
that hides the temple within,
As sweat oozes from the folds where
stale infection has set in.
Pooled like rotting vomit
with a blistered blood red sting
and a stench that would be resident
from decomposing skin.

In good conscience I could not permit
your flesh to rub alongside mine,
to scrape against the crusty, splintered,
noxious reptilian slime, that seeps from
every puss-filled crack, each widening
with time, as this bloated, over indulgent
gut slaps against your thin waistline.

In all honesty I could not forgive
my undeserving, retched soul,
if its repugnant stinking essence
began to take its repugnant toll,
as regurgitated bile dissolved
the parts that made you whole,
And took from you the beauty
that was not mine to control.

No comments:

Post a Comment