Sunday 15 July 2012

New Villanelle

Its been a while since my last post for a variety of reasons.  I've been working on a number of new poems at the same time, looking over old lines that I hoped could become finished poems whilst also dipping my toes into forms that I have not used before.  However I thought I would post this villanelle, which I have had for a while, just so there was a new poem on my blog. I hope you enjoy it.

PLEASE HIDE ME FROM THE DAY

Please hide me from the day, five minutes more.
Ignore the light as it comes flooding in
and lean a chair against the bedroom door.

We have each others bodies to explore,
So while the world outside is grey and grim,
Please hide me from the day, fives minutes more,

All that I ask, in fact what I implore,
Is that you never let this day begin
and lean a chair against the bedroom door,

so that our fractured love we might restore
And purge our minds of this infernal din.
Please hide me from the day, five minutes more.

Who knows the pleasures life may have in store
If we absolve each other of the sin
And lean a chair against the bedroom door,

Where we will not be able to ignore
the love that stretches out each subtle grin.
Please hide me from the day, five minutes more
And lean a chair against the bedroom door.

No comments:

Post a Comment